I am a freshman college student approaching my first winter break. I had been VERY regular at the local Crossfit gym for about a year and a half, and the last few months of that spent experimenting with the Zone Diet and Paleo... that is before college hit me. The level of drinking and cigarette smoking has risen to an absurd level! And with my ONE MONTH break, I figured... what better time to experiment! My plan is to spend the month of December and into January getting back into shape, and also to learn how much I can change my body and performance in one month. For exercise: I plan to Crossfit and a VERY high intensity I also plan on performing 5 mile timed runs once a week. (I did this when i first started Crossfiting and it helped) For Nutrition: My plan is to switch to the Zone Diet/ Paleo Diet combination -I have seen results from this in my past Crossfit history and KNOW is works! Also, I have heard a lot about intermittent fasting, I will plan on doing these over my break. (I need to do more on this) *By NO means am I an elite Crossfiter and hope I didn't come off as trying to sound like one! it has just been a past time and fitness regimen for me for the past few years. So this is my experiment, we'll see where it takes me!



Thursday, December 3, 2009

Intermittent Fasting:

Intermittent Fasting is the Idea of short scheduled periods with out eating. After researching some about this topic I have been more and more turned on to the idea. Many people have claimed that the results are fantastic with lowering insulin and body fat percentage. I don't know to much about the whole 'science' behind IF but when you don't eat for a short amount of time your body relies on fat cells for energy, moving fat cells from storage to energy, this is cause for fat being burned.

People might say... isn't this an eating disorder? NO! In an IF cycle you are only fasting for a short period of time, where in an eating disorder you starve yourself all the time. This keeps your body 'guessing' so that it doesn't go into a rut, in which it is common for one to plateau, or not see as many gains.

Through research I have found a lot if different plans for fasting. On Mark's Daily Apple, he tried the plan of once a week on Tuesdays. This is what I will try to follow. So on Monday nights I will have my final meal for 24 hours. On Wednesday I will end the fast with breakfast.

It is mentioned that a high intensity workout is NEEDED on a day of fasting. If you do nothing on a fast day, your fat cells do not get burned and stay in storage.

More Info can be found on Wikipedia or Marks Daily Apple has a good article about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment